Colorbond steel roofing is becoming ever more popular as people realise that it offers so many benefits. Not only is it strong and durable, it is lightweight, meaning the roof frame does not have to be as strong as it would to support a great weight such as tiles have. In addition, the wide colour choice means that there is always an attractive colour to suit your building no matter whether the walls are of brick or some other cladding that can be painted.
While Perth Colorbond roofing is being used more than ever, not everyone realises that those seemingly thin sheets of steel offer 5 layers of protection.
- Firstly, there is the steel base. This has been manufactured to Australian standards to ensure the strength and durability you have come to expect with Colorbond products.
- Secondly, that base is coated with a corrosion resistant layer of metallic coating that incorporates the special Activate technology, ensuring rust and corrosion are not a problem when the steel is maintained as per instructions.
- Thirdly, another layer is sprayed over this to optimise the adherence of the last two coats.
- Fourthly, a primer that is resistant to corrosion is baked onto the surface of the steel.
- And lastly, the topcoat is also baked on. This top coat has been especially developed to provide a tough coating that is highly resistant to chipping, flaking and blistering. This coat has been tested to ensure Colorbond steel will retain its colour and good looks for many years under harsh Australian conditions.
So you may think that only one layer is going over the top of your home to protect it from the elements, but in fact there is much more to it than there looks. You can have peace of mind that your home is fully protected with such a roof.
In fact, the thermal aspects of steel roofing are not always recognised either. The way the paint is applied to reflect the sun’s rays means that the steel does not get nearly as hot as you might expect. When hot sun is beating down on a steel roof you would think it would get too hot to touch, but this does not happen with Colorbond roofing.
The angle of the rays is deflected so that the heat does not build up and make your home hotter. This can save you a great deal in air-conditioning over the lifetime of the home and reduce your carbon footprint. These are just some of the many benefits of choosing a Colorbond roof; there are many others. But most of all it is an Australian product made for all the varied conditions this country can dish up.