If you have ever struggled to open or close a window that sticks, or if you have a door that is warped and doesn’t fit properly into the doorway, you will be interested in aluminium windows and doors. Toughened glass with an aluminium frame is never going to warp or twist like timber does. Timber absorbs moisture, then dries out during hot, dry weather and this process is what makes it warp and twist. So timber frames around doors or windows will not give the same durability as aluminium. Here are some more advantages of aluminium doors and windows.
- They don’t need painting. Timber must be painted on a regular basis to protect it from the weather or even just from changes in humidity. The smallest scratch in the paint can let moisture seep in and the next thing you know, that window simply won’t open or close easily. Eventually there will be a crack between the frame and the wall and this will let hot or cold air in and out of the house and make your heating and cooling appliances work even harder, not to mention cost more to run.
- No cracks. Once the cracks around timber frames get just a little bit bigger, you will see an increase in spiders and other bugs in the house. Even large spiders seem able to fit through tiny gaps.
- Aluminium frames are durable and because they are not organic – made from something that was once alive – they are much more stable. So they won’t warp or twist with normal usage and better still, you won’t have to keep painting them. This saves a lot of effort and the cost or maintenance, not to mention the frustration of trying to close a window that won’t co-operate.
- Once, aluminium frames were only available in silver, then bronze. These days there are even more colour choices to give your home the look you want.
- There are many different sizes and shapes in aluminium doors and windows.
- You don’t have to stick with sliding doors and windows. Aluminium windows and doors can be double hung or bi-fold, allowing you plenty of choice whether you are building a new home or renovating an old one.
- They give your new home a crisp, modern look and can upgrade an older home to make it look much more modern.
So even if you have an old home, you don’t have to put up with old features such as tiny windows or timber framed doors that let in cold air. It don’t cost a lot to upgrade your home with new windows and doors and the value it adds, not to mention the enhanced lifestyle will certainly make it worthwhile.